<body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/plusone.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://www.blogger.com/navbar.g?targetBlogID\x3d12608617\x26blogName\x3dA+Hobbyist\x27s+Beekeeping+Adventures\x26publishMode\x3dPUBLISH_MODE_BLOGSPOT\x26navbarType\x3dBLUE\x26layoutType\x3dCLASSIC\x26searchRoot\x3dhttp://apiscomb.blogspot.com/search\x26blogLocale\x3den_US\x26v\x3d2\x26homepageUrl\x3dhttp://apiscomb.blogspot.com/\x26vt\x3d-5765773953656610493', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script>

Friday, March 31, 2006

Swarm Averted

I checked on the Russian hive today and everything is looking well. They've drawn out probably a third of the new super and filled that with honey. The older super is actually completely filled with honey and rippening honey. It's probaby half capped. One frame had warped terribly and was getting in the way. I had to replace it with foundation but, the honey contained is probably some of my best. I can't wait to extract it. Down in the brood chamber, the bees were drawing out foundation but, doing a pretty terrible job at it. I was also searching for possible swarm cells given I didn't want to lose the honey production of two colonies. I found plenty of queen cups and cut them but, there were also three queen cells in the usuall swarm possition on the frame. These had to be cut, and were. I have hopefully, now, prevented a swarm. There were minimal eggs, some very young larvae and many pupae. The fact that egg production seemed to be rapidly slowing is a good sign that the bees are getting a case of "swarm fever". For each swarm it's gallons of honey lost as well as potential for honey production for a few months. The queen is also lost. The bees can make a new queen from eggs and young larvae but, their's no tellling what the genetics of the bees will be. With it now being official that my county is AFRICANIZED, I have to take every precaution available to make sure my colonies remain docile. Anyways, I have a few pounds of honey that are needing mine, and a slice of toast's attention...

1 Comments:

Blogger debbiesuew said...

Wow, this is great. I just started posting a blog myself, I'm fairly new to beekeeping and have so much to learn. I will keep reading yours in hopes to gain some much valued information.
Thanks for sharing:)

8:12 PM, April 02, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home